Admission Requirements

Requirements for admission to Cameron University are established by the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education.

For admission requirements for Graduate Studies, contact the Office of Admissions at 580-581-2289 or


A junior or senior high school student enrolled in an accredited Oklahoma high school may be admitted provisionally if the following criteria are met. The student must:

  • Earn an ACT composite score of 20 or higher or a SAT score of 1020 or have an unweighted high school grade point average of 3.0 and rank in the top 50% of their class.

A student receiving high school level instruction at home or from an unaccredited high school may be admitted provisionally if the following criteria are met:

  • Completed enough high school coursework to be equivalent to an individual who is classified as a junior or senior at an accredited high school.
  • Earn an ACT composite score of 20 or higher or a SAT score of 1020 or higher.

All concurrently enrolled students must also:

  • Provide a signed statement from the high school principal or counselor stating that the student will be eligible to satisfy high school graduation requirements (including curricular requirements for college admission) no later than the spring semester of the senior year.
  • Provide a signed statement from parent(s) or legal guardian stating the student has permission to enroll concurrently.

A high school student may enroll in a combined number of high school and college courses per semester not to exceed a full-time college workload of 19 semester credit hours. Non-academic high school units are excluded from the workload calculation. For more information regarding concurrent enrollment, contact Admissions at 580-581-2987.


Baccalaureate Degrees. Minimum admissions requirements for recent high school graduates are:

  • Graduate of an accredited high school or possess a GED (student's high school class must have graduated),
  • Meet the following performance requirements:
    • minimum composite ACT of 20 or SAT of 940, OR
    • rank in the top 50 percent of high school graduating class AND have a high school (4 years) grade point average of at least 2.7,
  • Meet the minimum high school curricular requirements:
    • 4 years of English (grammar, composition, literature),
    • 3 years of mathematics (Algebra I and higher level mathematics),
    • 3 years of lab science (may not include general science),
    • 3 years of history and citizenship skills (including 1 year of American History and 2 additional years from the subjects of history, economics, geography, government, non-western culture),
    • 2 years of other (additional subjects previously mentioned or selected from computer science, foreign language).

Graduates of unaccredited high schools or home study programs, whose high school class has graduated, may satisfy admissions requirements by taking the ACT or SAT and achieving a minimum ACT score of 20 or SAT of 940 and satisfying the curricular requirements as certified by the school, or for home study, the parent.

Individuals meeting these criteria are eligible for admission to baccalaureate, associate in science, or associate in applied science degrees.

Associate in Science Degrees. Minimum admissions requirements for recent high school graduates are:

  • Graduate of an accredited high school or possess a GED (student's high school class must have graduated), AND
  • Meet the minimum high school curricular requirements for baccalaureate degrees above, AND
  • Complete the ACT or SAT.

Associate in Applied Science Degrees. Minimum admissions requirements for recent high school graduates are:

  • Graduate of an accredited high school or possess a GED (student's high school class must have graduated), AND
  • Complete the ACT or SAT test.

Students lacking curricular requirements may be required to take remedial/developmental courses. These courses must be completed within the first 24 semester hours attempted, with a grade of “C” or higher and prior to taking courses in the discipline. To transfer to an associate in science or baccalaureate degree program the student must meet both the curricular and performance admission requirements.


A student who does not plan to pursue a degree may enroll in a maximum of nine semester hours without submitting academic credentials or meeting the academic curricular or performance requirements.  Enrollment in mathematics, English, science, history and government courses will be determined by placement tests.  Enrollment beyond nine hours will require formal admission.


This admission category is for those individuals who do not meet the performance or curricular requirements, but (1) have a reasonable chance for academic success, (2) have unusual talent or ability in art, drama, music, sports, and the like, or (3) are educationally or economically disadvantaged and show promise of being able to succeed in a program or curriculum at Cameron. Students applying for admission under this section will be admitted through associate degree standards. To transition to baccalaureate degree programs, students must successfully address all curricular and performance deficiencies and successfully complete twenty‑four collegiate credit hours.


Students who are 21 years of age or older or active duty military who have graduated from high school or have a GED are eligible for admission to Cameron. Any student admitted through the Adult Admissions category must demonstrate college readiness through defined placement assessments or by successful completion of zero‑level courses before entering bachelor level degree programs.


Students who have not graduated from high school whose composite standard score on the ACT places them at the 99th percentile of all students using Oklahoma norms or whose combined verbal and mathematical score on the SAT places them at the 99th percentile of all students using national norms may apply for admission to Cameron. Admission will be based on the test scores, evaluation of the student's level of maturity and ability to function in the adult college environment, and whether the experience will be in the best interest of the student intellectually and socially.


International students are required to meet the equivalent academic performance standards listed above. Additionally, students for whom English is a second language will be required to present evidence of proficiency in the English language prior to admission. Applicants for first‑time admission (less than 24 semester hours at a regionally accredited U.S. institution of higher education) at the undergraduate level must present a TOEFL minimum score of 500 or higher on the paper-based test, 173 or higher on the computer-based test, 61 or higher on the internet-based test, or a 5.5 on the IELTS to meet the standards for unqualified admission to Cameron.  Contact Admissions Office for additional information.




Transfer Admission

Transfer applicants must submit official transcripts from ALL colleges attended. An undergraduate student with more than six attempted semester hours, excluding zero-level courses or pre-college work and excluding credit hours accumulated by concurrently enrolled high school students is considered a transfer student.

Transfer From Other Oklahoma State System Institutions. A student may transfer to Cameron from another State System institution under the following conditions:

  • The student originally met both the high school curricular requirements and academic performance standards for admission to Cameron and has a grade point average high enough to meet Cameron's retention standards, or
  • The student originally met the high school curricular requirements but not the academic performance standards for admission to Cameron and has a grade point average high enough to meet Cameron's retention standards based on at least 24 attempted semester hours of regularly graded (A, B, C, D, F) college work, or
  • The student originally met the performance but not the curricular requirements for admission to Cameron and has removed curricular deficiencies, or
  • The student originally met neither the curricular nor the academic performance requirements for admission to Cameron, but has a grade point average high enough to meet Cameron's retention standards based on at least 24 attempted semester hours of regularly graded (A, B, C, D, F) college work and has removed curricular deficiencies.

Transfer From an Out-of-State Institution. In addition to meeting Cameron's entrance requirements, out-of-state transfers must meet the following:

  • Be in good standing in the institution from which s/he plans to transfer.
  • Have made satisfactory progress (an average grade of "C" or better or met Cameron's retention standards, whichever is higher) in the institution from which s/he plans to transfer.
  • Students transferring from institutions not accredited by a regional association may have credits transferred by meeting the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education requirements.

Admission of Students Suspended From Other Institutions. A student suspended for academic reasons from other institutions may appeal for admission to Cameron. Information regarding this policy and appeal procedures may be obtained from the Admissions Office.

Transfer Probation. Students who do not meet the academic criteria including curricular requirements as stated above under the transfer categories, but who have not been formally suspended, may be admitted as "transfer probation" students. If grade point average (GPA) is less than 2.0, student will be admitted as a “transfer probation” student. Students seeking admission in this category must meet with an Admissions Officer regarding procedures and enrollment conditions.

Admission of Oklahoma State System Associate of Arts and Associate of Science Graduates. Students who have completed the requirements for an Associate in Arts or Associate in Science degree at an Oklahoma State System institution will be accepted as having fulfilled the general education requirements for bachelor of arts or bachelor of science degrees. Additional requirements will be required when (1) prerequisites for upper division courses are lacking, (2) grade levels required by Cameron have not been attained, or (3) professional licensing or certifying agencies requirements exceed the junior college general education requirements.

Re-Admission. Any former Cameron student who did not attend Cameron during the previous academic year must apply for re-admission.



Use of Non-Academic Criteria in the Admission of Students

Cameron University is committed to providing a safe learning and teaching environment for our students, faculty, and staff. As part of that commitment, the University reviews applications from prospective students who indicate they have a felony conviction or have been suspended or expelled from another college or university for non-academic reasons to determine their admissibility. Students can contact the Dean of Students Office for review of the complete policy.



Falsification and Ownership of Records

Falsification of any admission record, whether by change, omission, or untrue statement will be grounds for permanent denial of admission to the University or suspension from the University with forfeiture of any credit earned.

All records required for admission become the property of Cameron University. Examples include, but are not limited to, test score reports, GED reports, and transcripts.



Name or Address Change

A student who has legally changed his/her name must provide appropriate documentation to substantiate the change. This documentation is to be submitted to the Registrar's Office. All transcripts are issued under the student's legal name as recorded in the Registrar's Office. Student should insure their current mailing address is on file at all times to avoid not receiving financial information and any other important notices. Students should log in to their AggieAccess account to update address information. 



Initial Course Placement

Cameron University uses ACT scores to determine placement in English, mathematics, reading and science courses for first-time entering freshmen. Students with an ACT score of less than 19 in English, mathematics, or reading are required to take a remedial course or courses in the subject area or be approved for placement in a collegiate level course based on performance on computerized placement tests (CPT). Students with an ACT of less than 19 in science will be required to remediate any mathematics or reading performance deficiencies prior to taking a science course and may be required to complete additional courses to meet baccalaureate degree requirements. 

CPT's are required to place adult students in English, mathematics, and reading courses.

Remedial courses used to remove performance deficiencies are not college-level courses; therefore, they do not apply toward any degree requirement, major/minor, or general education requirement. A special fee is assessed for these courses in addition to normal tuition and fees.

All English, math, and reading deficiencies must be satisfactorily cleared within the first 24 hours of collegiate enrollment (GPA hours). Satisfactory course completion requires a grade of “C” or better. 

Students who have been regularly enrolled may continue to enroll in college-level coursework in addition to developmental coursework beyond the 24 college-level credit limit, provided the student has demonstrated success in both the college-level and developmental coursework and has petitioned and been approved for an exception.

Initial course placement regulations for students with or without developmental course requirements for university success, English, reading, mathematics, and other curricular deficiencies are included on the Testing Center webpage.



Advanced Standing Credit

Students enrolled at Cameron University may receive degree credit for post-secondary level extra-institutional learning related to subject areas, courses, and programs of study offered by Cameron University. The Vice President for Academic Affairs is responsible for developing and administering policies and procedures for awarding advanced standing credit. Advanced standing credit awards are made under policies and procedures designed to assure that reliable and valid measures of learning outcomes have been applied.

Credit recommendations for AP, CLEP, and DSST will be made using the recommendations below. When equivalent to a Cameron course, a Cameron course prefix, number, and title will be assigned; when not equivalent, a Cameron course prefix, 100T, 200T, 300T, or 400T, and title from guide used to evaluate the course will be assigned. Credit hours for course with no equivalent will be listed in the hours earned category on the student’s transcript. Maximums of 45 or 64 credit hours may be applied to Associate or Baccalaureate degrees, respectively. In addition, a student must earn 12 credit hours at Cameron before credit is awarded. A complete list of all Cameron AP, CLEP, and DSST test titles is available on the Testing Center website (


Admissions Residence Status

Proof of Residence. The burden of proof of establishing Oklahoma residence or domicile shall be upon the applicant. Some of the various types of evidence that may serve as proof of one's residence status are year‑round residence, ownership of property, registration for and voting in state general elections, filing an Oklahoma income tax return for the most recent calendar year, and payment of ad valorem property taxes. Since residence or domicile is at least partially a matter of intent, each case will be judged on its own merits, and no definitive or set criteria can be established as sufficient to guarantee classification as a resident of Oklahoma.

Independent Persons (definition for admissions purpose). If a person enjoying majority privileges and who is independent of parental domicile can provide adequate and satisfactory proof of having come to Oklahoma with the intention of establishing domicile, that person may be granted resident student classification at the next enrollment occurring after expiration of 12 months following the establishment of domicile in Oklahoma. The spouse of such person must establish proof of his or her own domiciliary status on a separate basis, except as provided in other sections of this policy.

Dependent Persons (definition for admissions purpose). The legal residence of a dependent person is that of the student’s parents, or the legal residence of the parent who has legal custody or the parent with whom the student habitually resides. If the student is under the care of those other than the parents, the legal residence is that of the student’s legal guardian.

A dependent person may become emancipated (freed from the parental domicile) through marriage, formal court action, abandonment by parents, or positive action on the student’s own part evidential of alienation of parental domicile. To qualify under the latter category, a dependent person must have completely separated from the parental domicile and have proved that such separation is complete and permanent. Mere absence from the parental domicile is not proof of its complete abandonment. If an applicant can provide adequate and satisfactory proof of complete emancipation and having come to Oklahoma with the intention of establishing domicile, the applicant may be granted resident student classification at the next enrollment occurring after expiration of 12 months following establishment of domicile in Oklahoma.

Foreign Nationals. An individual who is not a United States national may become eligible for classification as an Oklahoma resident provided that he/she holds "permanent resident status" as defined by the Immigration and Naturalization Service, evidenced by whatever documents may be required under applicable Federal law, who has resided in Oklahoma for a least 12 consecutive months and who meets the criteria for establishment of domicile as set forth in the policy of the State Regents for Higher Education.

Military Personnel. Members of the armed forces who provide evidence that they are full-time active duty in the armed forces stationed in Oklahoma or temporarily present through military orders shall be immediately classified upon admission as in-state status along with their spouse and dependent children. Further, when members of the armed services are transferred out-of-state, the member, their spouses, and dependent children shall continue to be classified as in-state as long as they remain continuously enrolled.

Former full-time active military personnel who remain in Oklahoma after their service may retain their in-state status without the 12 month requirement if they establish domicile as defined in this policy.

Reclassification. In addition to the aforementioned criteria, an independent person seeking to be reclassified as a resident of Oklahoma must meet the following criteria for the current and immediately preceding year:

  1. The person must not have been claimed as an exemption for state and federal tax purposes by his/her non‑resident parents.
  2. The person is self‑supporting as evidenced by having provided the majority of funds for his/her own upkeep.
  3. The person must have maintained a continuous residence in Oklahoma for the period set forth above.