Welcome to Cameron University, where we are dedicated to the educational, cultural and economic advancement of the communities we serve.
The 2017-18 academic year brings excitement and exceptional learning opportunities to Cameron students, as well as to the citizens of Southwest Oklahoma and beyond. This year, in keeping with Plan 2018: Values Driven, Action Oriented, our five-year strategic plan, we will continue our focus on student learning and student success with initiatives to improve persistence and degree completion rates while maintaining or increasing already high academic standards. The initiatives are grouped around five themes:
- Access: Cameron University wants every high school graduate and transfer student to have the opportunity for a college education, so improving the prospective student experience is a priority. New and prospective students may find out more at the Welcome Center in the Shepler Center and at OneStop in the McMahon Centennial Complex. Academically, we continue to improve student learning and success. We match student preparation and skills with appropriate course placement to provide a better chance for success as students enter Cameron University.
- Affordability: Cameron is dedicated to maintaining quality learning experiences for a modest financial outlay by managing costs and by providing outstanding opportunities for financial assistance. Despite a tuition increase, Cameron remains an excellent value. To offset costs, Cameron has increased scholarships and tuition waivers. We encourage you to take advantage of this opportunity. Cameron provides personalized financial updates to student borrowers as well as additional counseling and financial information.
- Accountability: Cameron is committed to improving our institutional retention and graduation rates. Through participation in the Higher Learning Commission’s Persistence and Completion Academy, Cameron has many more tools to aid students and faculty in support of these goals. To help us prepare for the future, we will soon complete Plan 2023, our updated five-year strategic plan..
- Attainment: Cameron has initiated a new scholarship program, “Next Level,” to support students making satisfactory progress toward degree completion. We also are continuing two initiatives, “Graduation Starts Today” and “We Want You Back,” which give every one of our students the best possible chance to complete the degrees or course packages they have chosen. For students on our Duncan campus, we are increasing educational opportunities with the construction of additional labs and classrooms this year.
- Engagement: In 2017-2018, CU continues its popular series of academic festivals with “American Identities in the 21st Century.” We are also expanding a successful partnership with Great Plains Technology Center in the area of respiratory care to add radiologic technology, which will help meet regional healthcare needs. Cameron University also partners with Western Oklahoma State College and the University of Oklahoma to provide nursing degrees in Lawton, and with Oklahoma City University to do the same in Duncan.
Throughout Cameron’s website, you will find information about academics, athletics, student activities, campus life, cultural events and more, providing you with a glimpse of what our university is about. I invite you to visit our campuses in Lawton and Duncan or contact us by phone or email to explore the numerous opportunities that Cameron provides.
And don’t forget to follow us on social media to keep up with everything happening on campus. Thank you for visiting our website. I hope to see you on campus soon.